Battery!!!

Not the Alkaline one. I’m referring to the slang-ish word for Spectacles. More specifically, the person wearing them. Battery is among the words that have been used to “call” me. Others being, Chashmish, four eyes, Soda Buddi, and the very not funny “almost blind”!!

A high power of -5.5 , ensures that I am very much dependent on external support for eyes- spectacles and lenses. Have been wearing specs from the time I was 10. I spent a year pretending I could see the blackboard, and moving progressively closer to it to prove I could.  I also tried other tactics like flooding the classroom with lights from all sources, which did make it relatively more visible. I couldn't admit to difficulties, since I had declared to my Mom that I would not get specs (as she has). Until, the headaches, my near empty notebook and interrogation by mom proved, that I could see the board- but not what was written on it!
And thus, I was on Spectacles- directly with a power of -2.5. I was the class rep when I got them. Those who wear glasses would understand this- new glasses always make things sharper, and hence smaller. I felt as as though I was taller overnight- as the distance between my eyes and floor seemed suddenly higher. When I mentioned this to the class, they all started calling me “Didi”.

Eye power usually grows when you grow, and since I got them at 10, my power kept increasing drastically as I grew. Funniest experience is going to the doctor to get the eyes checked. They make you wear skeleton-specs. When they first ask you to read the alphabets, its fine- it gets proved that you can indeed not see with your current set of glasses. Then they progressively add more power to the skeleton, and ask you to read it again. Now being asked to read the same alphabets a second time in a span of 10 mins, and being blessed with a reasonably good memory for unnecessary details, I always remember the alphabets. This caused me to cheat at times and read it from memory instead of eyes! Now don’t get judgemental, I was just a kid.

Though I am so used to it now, I can’t help but wonder how life would have been if I didn’t have myopic eyes….
For starters, I wouldn’t have had to endure being called all those names, especially “Didi”.
My life wouldn’t have to revolve around spectacles and lenses.
I wouldn’t have to get up 10 minutes early just to wear lenses. I wouldn’t be late for office or class, when the lenses misbehave ultimately causing me to give up and throw on my specs.
I wouldn’t have to peer at the vague shapes in the dark, trying to place it, which embarrassingly enough, turn out to be people I know.
I wouldn’t have to struggle entering into the swimming pool, wondering what is out there!
I wouldn’t have to reach out for the specs, the moment I awake. I could do those things I always dreamt of, like looking out the window, take deep breaths and all such exotic stuff.

Ah well, I’m just glad I’m blessed with long term vision, to make up for the short distance eye sight ;)

PS: And, for the record, I am NOT blind. So the next time you remove my specs for fun, bear in mind I can see enough to punch you!

Comments

Aditya said…
nice one RT!!
n@veen said…
RT,Also note that if you didn't have myopic eyes, you would also have walked without falling so many times :D. Nice post, I liked the cheating part at the Docs!
Road Trip 2020 said…
nice post...
long term vision... :) nice immagination :) :)

wonderful writing though :)

Popular posts from this blog

What I learnt @ Singapura....

A Sense of Direction....

Of all things lost...