ENCOUNTER WITH A LEOPARD

I first wrote this article when I was 15.. on a paper with a pen (ah.. those days!). I re-wrote this when I was 20. So the target audience is of a similar age group- but, age no bar! Hope you enjoy this! --- Ramya



I was watching the news when suddenly my neighbourhood flashed on TV.

The news reader was reporting: "In yet another series of leopard-spotting, a leopard was today spotted at Raheja Estate in a suburb Borivali, in Mumbai. The forest officials were called immediately from the National Park which adjoins the area. The leopard was caught by the forest officials. We, at NDTV have filmed the entire capture and will be airing it shortly. Meanwhile, this has sparked a debate on………."

Wow, a leopard in my colony. And I being in Chennai for vacation missed the entire thing. It would have been so much fun! Then I would have watched the whole episode live.

The vacation soon got over and I was back home. College started soon and the whole boring routine started again.

Then a little break and fun came for me when my cousin, Priya visited me. We had great fun. After dinner on the first day, I suggested we go for a walk around the colony. Priya readily agreed. We enjoyed the stroll as there was a nice breeze. We went to a small park inside our colony and sat on the swing. While chatting I told her about the recent leopard incident.

"Really? A leopard came to this colony? Cool!" was her first reaction.

"Yeah. It came in that half constructed building right there", I said pointing to the place which was very near to the swing where we were sitting."

"That building? That's uncomfortably close to this swing", she said.

"Relax. It won't come again. The forest officials have released many rabbits inside the park for the leopards to eat. They won't come now." I said, trying to allay her fears.

"Yeah Ok. But let's leave anyway." She was not convinced.

"Alright", I replied resignedly.

Just when we got up, there was loud sound and the whole colony plunged into darkness.

"Uh-oh. Now what?" asked my cousin.

"You wanna try going in the dark?" I asked

"Yeah, right! There's not even moon light. Let's stay put"

Soon candle lights started appearing in some houses, giving a very eerie appearance.

Suddenly my cousin touched my arm and silently pointed to the same dilapidated building. There were two round lights floating and moving. The same thought passed our minds. A leopard! It started growling. Suddenly, it wasn't funny anymore.

"So where are all the rabbits now?" said my cousin.

"This isn't the time for sarcasm. What should we do?"

"Hey, you should know, you are the one used to this" she replied.

I glared and bit back the retort that sprang to my lips. There were more important things now.

"Well, let's try and get out of here and go to our building. It's very near" I said.

"You know, I think a leopard's vision is extremely good in dark. It may be able to see us."

"Well, we can't keep standing here. Okay. If it pounces or comes near us or anything, scream your head off. It scares them" I said, desperately trying to remember more of the tips that had come in the newspapers.

Somehow, by the candle lights from houses, we made our way slowly back to our building. We went to the watchman and told him about the leopard.

"What should we do?" I asked.

"Pukka leopard hi hai kya? Andhere mein kaise dikha?" he asked

"Haan. Uski aankhe chamak rahi hain aur wah growl bhi kar raha hai" I said. Soon, few more persons who were passing by also heard the growling and saw the flashing of the eyes and confirmed to the watchman, it was indeed a leopard.

That convinced the watchman. And he said the best thing would be to call the forest officials.

"Unko main phone karta hoon" he said.

We waited about too, not wanting to entirely go away from the scene. After a few minutes, the forest officials came armed with cages, tranquilizers and even a gun which they assured us would be used "only if things get nasty"

They went to the place where the leopard was roaming.

"Don't switch on the torch. It'll get scared", the forest officials cautioned.

"What about our fright?" my cousin muttered.

We followed them at a safe distance and watched them set up the trap in the dark. They also kept tranquilizers incase the leopard didn't co-operate.

By this time a big crowd had collected. No one minded the darkness and we all watched with bated breath and anticipation. The leopard didn't come near the trap.

Just as we were starting to get frustrated, there were cheers from everywhere! The power supply was back!! The street lights came on! And we all looked towards the leopard with sudden alarm. And there- looking at us with piercing eyes- was a cat. And next to him, sleeping and snoring extremely loudly, was one of the construction workers.

The forest official turned towards the crowd with a raised eyebrow and a smile and said "There's your leopard and its growl".

Well, what could we say? We all just grinned sheepishly and returned acutely embarrassed.


Comments

Anonymous said…
very nice!
especially the rabbit part is out of the world!!!
wonderful creativity for a 15 year old!!
way to go :)
Anonymous said…
This comment is by Gops!

Popular posts from this blog

What I learnt @ Singapura....

A Sense of Direction....

Of all things lost...