The Flight

The cab arrived. We loaded the luggage into it, and after saying fond goodbyes left for the airport. I and two of my classmates were flying back to Mumbai from Dubai for our mini vacation.
After an uneventful cab ride, we reached the airport. At the check in counter, I offered a smile to the Chinese guy and asked for a window seat. He smiled back and said, “I will do much better than that ma’am. Our Economy class is full and we’re identifying passengers for upgrading to Business Class. I am putting you in the priority list for upgrading. This boarding pass is for economy class, but just ask the personnel at the boarding counter, he will upgrade it”.
I thanked him and left the counter happily. My two friends also got the same priority listing.
After this, we finished all the formalities and went towards the Duty Free shopping area. I enjoyed whiffing the various perfume brands- which were beyond my liquidity at the moment and then went to the chocolates and nuts section. I got separated from my classmates at this point, but was not very bothered as I was confident of finding my way. I shopped here thoughtfully (or so I would like to believe) and at leisure.
I finally made my way towards the boarding gate. From outside, I saw my two friends sitting inside, and they nodded their heads vigorously at me- indicating that they indeed got upgraded to Business Class. I allowed myself to be thrilled at this point of time- I was sure of travelling Business Class now.
I confidently went up to the counter and said,”Good Evening sir. I have been told I am in the priority for upgrading to Business Class.”.
“Oh is that so. Please give me your passport” he replied.
I handed over my passport and waited jauntily while he keyed in something in the system.
“No” he said flatly.
“What??” I wasn’t sure I heard him correctly.
“It’s not listed in priority ma’am”
“But, my two friends with me were told the same… and they got upgraded!”
“I’m sorry but the system doesn’t list your passport for upgrading”.
“Ok, fine, Thanks!” I replied rather curtly and went off with the small stub of economy boarding pass. All my cheerfulness vanished like the air from a punctured balloon would!
I went towards my classmates and told them that I didn’t get upgraded.
“But you did tell him, right?” one of them asked.
“Yeah yeah... he says it’s not in the system”
“But the guy at the check-in counter did tell you about it?” she asked insistently.
“Yes, he did!”
My determination to act nonchalant was in serious trouble at this time as my disappointment was clearly written all over my face. It was more due to the fact that they got and I didn’t! That seemed so unfair!
I was mulling over my bad luck and staring at the stub of boarding pass. I vowed to myself that I would travel in Business Class some day!! And that’s when the seat number caught my eye… 35D.
“Oh Damn” I thought to myself.
Once boarding was announced, I went with the other economy class passengers, bidding goodbye to my classmates. My fears were soon confirmed- 35D was not a window seat. The arrangement was 3-4-3, and I was in the stupid column of 4. It being an aisle seat was hardly a big consolation. From the “delight” of Business Class, I didn’t even get the “expected” window seat! What a fall!!
I angrily put my pull man on the top and sat on my seat. Then I realized, that a laptop, a handbag and a big duty free bag were too much to accommodate in my poor economy-class seat along with me. I confusedly tried to manage all the pieces of luggage and looked up at the latch above- as if hoping it would open itself up by magic! Noticing my strain, an elderly man in my next seat, 35E, enquired kindly if I needed any help. Foolishly independent that I am at times, I politely thanked him and said I would manage. He persisted and asked pointing to my duty free bag and asked “do you want to put this bag up”. I managed to stand up by this time and conveyed that I wanted to get my bag down, and put the duty-free bag inside it and keep it back up! I was touched by his kindness.
“Asif! Help her with the bag” he barked instructions at a young man, whom I guessed to be his son. I finally settled the luggage and thanked him profusely.
I sat down, a lot calmer than before. This stranger’s kindness had somehow cheered me up slightly.
I now objectively thought about this whole “Business Class” episode and reflected that I must have gotten what I deserved. Then I recalled a wish I had had early in the evening- I had wanted a seat in a different place from my classmates, for spending some quiet moments by myself. You know what they say, “Be careful what you wish for- it could be fulfilled!!” I smiled ruefully at myself and decided I deserved this!

I got over these disappointments and proceeded to busy myself with the drinks, food and entertainment. After a lot of deliberation, I started watching “He’s just not into you”. It was a funny movie and I was enjoying it.
But, it was just not my day. The movie was interrupted for announcement 3 times- and each time in 3 different languages. And twice, it brought bad news in the form of rough weather and warnings of turbulence which petrified me. Soon, before I was even half way through the movie, the entertainment was switched off in preparation for landing. I gave up the movie as a lost cause and closed my eyes to “reflect” on the day. I soon fell asleep.
Suddenly a huge jolt woke me from my slumber- for a moment I thought we had landed and rejoiced- then noticed there were only clouds and light around- seemed we were going through really thick clouds! I was wide awake now and sat terrified in my seat. However, nothing more seemed to happen, apart from a few more bumps, and I started awaiting landing.
I was looking forward to trying out what my friend told me to- “As soon as you get off the aircraft, close your eyes and take a deep breath. You’ll feel the difference- of entering your country!”
I did try it out- but the experience was significantly hampered by the “mask” I was wearing for Swine Flu prevention. I looked around me- most faces had one on! It was an eerie sight- and even more strange when the immigration official asked me to remove my mask to verify if I was indeed the person my passport said to be.
My classmates were nowhere to be seen till now- Business Class passengers alighted first I recalled. I made my way to the conveyor and then spotted them. “Ah.. Conveyor Belt- the great leveller” I thought with a slight smirk on my face. But alas, my luggage came much after theirs and they happily bade me goodbye and left.
I waited wearily for my luggage and finally went towards the exit. The airport was renovated- and in the new large area I could see a sea of people. I scanned the faces.. and then slowly pushed the trolley outside- and there were my parents, happily waving at me. All disappointments forgotten, I rushed to meet them!

Comments

Anonymous said…
hmmm.. thats very sad!
hope you get lucky the next time :)
Anonymous said…
Thanks :D i hope so too...
else i will just buy one and go... once im employed :D
Anonymous said…
when you are employed.. dont forget people who sacrificed business class seat to sit in a cramped economy middle row middle seat :)

Popular posts from this blog

What I learnt @ Singapura....

A Sense of Direction....

Of all things lost...